High-end routerAX8600R Series
The environments surrounding the networks of service providers are changing more rapidly than ever.
We are facing many challenges involving networks, such as dealing with explosive growth in data traffic due to increase in mobile services, impending migration to 10G/100G Ethernet, efficient use of power, and so forth.
At the same time, to improve investment efficiency from a financial perspective, next-generation networks must achieve high speed and large capacity while reducing TCO.
To address these issues comprehensively, the AX8600R series helps realize a high-speed, large-capacity networking infrastructure combined with advanced technologies.
Further, with its excellent scalability, unique power-saving features, effective operation management, and so on, the AX8600R series assures cost-efficient, stable operation over a long period of time and has great potential to be a key player of next generation networking.
In service provider networks flooded with internet traffic, bandwidth shortage is a serious problem. ALAXALA's technology-rich AX8600R series supports 100 Gigabit Ethernet to reduce bandwidth bottlenecks, thus making it possible to provide stress-free environments for next generation networks.
In the network industry, we see growing demand for investment optimization, that is, resource expansion only when and where needed.
To upscale bandwidth from 1G to 10G, then to 100G, the AX8600R series supports effective migration planning.
Flexibility to keep up with changes
Service providers are always expected to take appropriate actions to keep up with rapid changes in network environments. The hybrid-engine architecture of the AX8600R series, which can also be applied to the new services and protocols of the future, not only makes networks more flexible but also extends the operation life cycles of service providers.
IPv6 Ready Logo
High Speed, Large Capacity
100 Gigabit Ethernet
- The AX8600R series supports 100G Ethernet (popular among carriers/data centers).
- 100G interface: max. 16 ports
Scalable switching capacity
- High-scalability architecture (scalable up to 10 Tbps or more)
- 400 Gbps and 1,000 Gbps (1 Tbps) communication services (expected to be available in the future)
High Port Density
Industry-leading 10G port density
- 16U body capable of housing max. 384 interfaces (future support) for 10G Ethernet
- 24 ports/unit (allows efficient use of installation space)
High-Functionality Reliable Packet Forwarding
Packet forwarding with large route entry capacity
- The AX8600R series employs field-proven, highly reliable routing software.
- More than 1.8 million IPv4 routes and 0.9 million IPv6 routes can be specified (route distribution pattern can be tailored to each user's requirements (future support)).
- With large entry capacity almost twice that of the switch model, the AX8600R series features high performance that can support ISPs and carriers.
- The AX8600R series supports layer 2 relay functionality (Port VLAN, Tag VLAN, etc.).
- Multicast Non Stop Forwarding is also supported.
Stable High-Functionality Routing
- Helps find the best route for each traffic (IPv4/IPv6).
- Provides a tracking function for fault detection and auto rerouting (future support).
- Enables combination of policy-based routing and network partition.
Scalability for Long Product Life Cycle
Flexible upgrade for next-generation services/protocols (future support)
- The AX8600R series enables addition of new services/protocols without degrading performance.
- The AX8600R series employs hybrid engine architecture that allows cooperation of a forwarding engine (FE), which is an engine that accelerates the execution of the basic forwarding functionality; a programmable engine (PE), which is an engine that enables flexible functionality enhancement; and a service module card (SMC). With this, you can enhance functionality without degrading forwarding performance.
- Advanced security and other high-end features can be available by using a service module card (SMC).
Facility migration with minimum capital investment
- The AX8600R series employs a micro line card structure that allows mixture of different types of interfaces (e.g., mixture of 1G Ethernet currently in use and 10G Ethernet to be used in the future for system upgrade and capacity enhancement).
- 1/4 slot size enables step-by-step system buildup (reduces idle slots/ports and facility investment cost).
Fault Tolerant Network
- STP-free redundancy with full link aggregation prevents trouble associated with system complexity and enhances network stability.
Fault tolerant architecture
- The AX8600R series employs a dual functionality system that enables failover operation, and architecture that enhances the device's availability to the full (switchover with a minimum of 50 ms).
Protocol accelerator (PA)
- The AX8600R series employs PA enabling hardware-assisted fast failover.
- Detection of link-down faults by PA accelerates switching of link aggregations.
- Fast forwarding of BFD packets by PA accelerates detection of BGP/OSPF faults.
High Reliability, High Availability
- ALAXALA proprietary L2 redundancy protocol enables failover with 1 s (minimum time).
- Multi-ring topologies are also supported (increases flexibility in network configuration).
High reliability features
- The features, such as link aggregation, STP/VRRP, and Graceful Restart, improve reliability of lines/routes.
- By making modules redundant, software update without stopping services becomes possible.
- Detects miscabling to avoid loop faults.
- Provides fine-tuning QoS: priority control to give higher priorities to important packets and delay-sensitive packets (e.g., voice packets), bandwidth control to allocate a set amount of bandwidth to ports, and so on.
Hot-swappable power supply
- The built-in redundant power supply makes it possible to replace a power supply unit without interrupting services.
Network Partition (Virtualization)
Simple low-cost network virtualization
- Combination of VRF (Virtual Routing and Forwarding) and VLAN (Virtual LAN) logically splits a network.
- Secure, highly reliable virtual network (partitions) can be configured at low cost.
Virtual router (VRF)
- Makes it possible to configure a virtual network by having multiple independent routing tables in a single unit.
High-speed IPv4/IPv6 routing
- Hardware-based fast routing for IPv4/IPv6
- Various IPv6 protocols: Static, RIPng, OSPFv3, BGP4+ and Multicast
- Unauthorized traffic is eliminated by multilayer (L2/L3/L4) ACL (Access Control List).
Simple Operation Management and Maintenance
- Supports command line interfaces common to all the models of the AX series (consolidated operation management and maintenance).
- Automates routine operations (improved operating efficiency, less manpower).
- Supports a script language (Python-based) to customize/automate operations.
- Enables event-driven operations (e.g., inputting commands/configurations upon log output/elapse of time).
- The AX8600R series supports macro functions to create a configuration template.
Power-Saving and Eco-Friendly Design
Flexible power saving to conserve power and reduce CO2 (future support)
- The AX8600R series supports dynamic power saving to feed appropriate amounts of power when and where needed.
- Possible to fine-tune the amount of power based on a traffic volume.
Power saving design
- The AX8600R series employs power-saving architecture, circuits and modules.
- Compared to the AX7800R series, the AX8600R series halves the amount of power consumed per port when a 10 Gigabit line card is in use (halves the amount of power consumed per port when a line card equipped with two NIFs, each having 6 ports for 10 Gbps, is in use (estimated amount at design phase)).
Airflow suited to data centers
- All the AX8600R models provide front-to-back airflow for data centers' cooling systems.
|Performance||Max .switching capacity (Tbit/s)||1.6||3.2||6.4|
|Max. packet forwarding rate (Mpacket/s)||240||480||960|
|PRU slot forwarding rate (full duplex)(Gbit/s)||120||120||120|
|Slot||Basic control unit (BCU)||2||2||2|
|Switch fabric unit (SFU)||Not required||4||4|
|Packet routing unit (PRU)||2||4||8|
|Network interface card (NIF)*1||Single size (full)||4||8||16|
|Single size (half)||8||16||32|
|Port count||100GBASE-LR4 (CFP)||4||8||16|
|Routing protocol||IPv4||Unicast||Static, RIP, RIP2, OSPF, BGP4, IS-IS *2, Policy-based routing|
|Multicast||PIM-SM, PIM-SSM, IGMPv2/v3|
|IPv6||Unicast||Static, RIPng, OSPFv3, BGP4+, IS-IS *2, Policy-based routing|
|Multicast||PIM-SM, PIM-SSM, MLDv1/v2|
|Layer 2 features||Max. number of MAC entries||240K|
|VLAN||Port VLAN, Tag-VLAN (IEEE 802.1Q), Tag translation|
|Spanning tree protocol (STP)||STP (IEEE802.1D), RSTP (IEEE802.1w), PVST+, MSTP (IEEE802.1s), BPDU filter, Root guard, Loop guard|
|Cooperation with multicast||IGMPv1/v2/v3 snooping *2, MLDv1/v2 snooping *2|
|Ring protocol||Autonomous Extensible Ring Protocol|
|Other||Policy-based switching *2, L2 loop detection, Storm control *2, IEEE802.3ah/UDLD *2, Ether OAM *4|
|Network functions||Security||Filtering (L2/IPv4/IPv6/L4), Subinterface (Tag-VLAN linkage), DHCP snooping *2|
|QoS||Flow detection (L2/IPv4/IPv6/L4), Bandwidth monitoring (UPC(policer)), Marking (DSCP/user priority), Priority control (flow-based, DSCP map),
Discard control, Shaping (port bandwidth control, scheduling (PQ, RR, 4PQ+4WFQ, 2PQ+4WFQ+2BEQ, 4WFQ+4BEQ)), Diff-serv, Hierarchical shaping *2
|High reliability||Load balancing (IPv4/IPv6), VRRP (IPv4/IPv6), Static polling (IPv4/IPv6), Link aggregation (IEEE802.1AX),
High-speed route switching, Graceful Restart (BGP4, BGP4+, OSPF, OSPFv3, IS-IS *2), Multicast Non Stop Forwarding, BFD
|Virtualization (network partition)||VRF (Virtual Routing and Forwarding), Inter-VRF relay|
|Other||IPv4 DHCP relay agent, IPv6 DHCP relay agent, L2-VPN (VLAN tunneling) *2|
|Operation management||Network management||SNMPv1/v2c/v3, MIBII, IPv6 MIB, RMON, sFlow, LLDP, Port mirroring, Flow statistics for filtering/QoS|
|Operation/maintenance||CLI, RADIUS, TACACS+, SSH *5, Configuration (commit/rollback/template), uRPF, E-mail notification of log information,
non-stop software update, high-functionality script, syslog, ping, traceroute, telnet, ftp, tftp, NTP (IPv4), SNTP (IPv4/IPv6), DNS Resolver
|Operation/maintenance ports||Serial (console, AUX), Management port (IPv4/IPv6)|
|Power saving features||Display of the amount of power consumed, Flexible power saving *2|
|Redundancy||BCU, SFU (for routers other than AX8608R), Power supply, Link aggregation across PRU, Link aggregation across NIF|
|Equipment conditions||Input voltage||AC100 to 120V / AC200 to 240V, DC-48V|
|Max. input current (per power supply unit) (A)||AC100V: 15A x 1, AC200V: 16A x 1
DC-40.5V: 44A x 2, DC-48V: 37A x 2
|Max. power consumption (W)||AC: 2,520 / DC: 2,610||AC: 5,160 / DC: 5,340||AC: 9,290 / DC: 9,620|
|Max. heat output (kJ/h) [provisional value]||AC: 9,072 / DC: 9,396||AC: 18,576 / DC: 19,224||AC: 33,444 / DC: 34,632|
|Dimensions: W x D x H (mm) [height:: U]*3||AC: 443 x 734 x 262 (6U)
DC: 443 x 763 x 262 (6U)
|AC: 443 x 734 x 426 (10U)
DC: 443 x 763 x 426 (10U)
|AC: 443 x 734 x 709 (16U)
DC: 443 x 763 x 709 (16U)
|Weight (kg) (with full installation)||80||135||220|
|Environment conditions||Permissible operation temperature range||0°C to 40°C (recommended range: 23°C to 28°C)|
|Non-operating temperature (when powered off)||-10°C to 43°C|
|Storage/transportation temperature||-25°C to 65°C|
|Permissible operation humidity range||5% to 85% (non-condensing) (recommended range: 45% to 55%)|
|Non-operating humidity (when powered off)||5% to 85% (non-condensing)|
|Storage/transportation humidity||5% to 95% (non-condensing)|
|Floating dust||Floating dust of about 10 microns or smaller : 0.15mg/m3|
- *1: Shows the number of available slots when installing NIFs of the same size.
- *2: Planned to be supported.
- *3: The width does not include the lengths of rack-mounting brackets. The depth includes the lengths of a chassis, the handle of a fan unit,
the projection of a power supply unit. The height does not include the length of a rubber foot.
- *4: Supported only by Ethernet interfaces, Ethernet subinterfaces, port channel interfaces, and port channel subinterfaces.
- *5: SSH function is subject to export control regulations, and may be excluded when exported.